Friday, July 20, 2012

SharePoint 2013: We Don't Get Fooled Again

I finally got SharePoint 2013 Preview up and running and started poking around. Overall I am not impressed. I think The Who's song "We Don't Get Fooled Again" describes my thoughts:

Note: This is just my first impression and I am sure once things start getting baked in and the actual release comes out my feelings will be more positive.

UPDATE (8/21/2012): My first impressions were solely based on installing the preview and causally  poking around. After a few weeks of digging into other areas, I realized that although the core is similar to 2010, there are many new features and functionality that require further exploration. There are some real paradigm shifts and improvements. It is going to take a lot of time to get your head around everything . It's still cool to correlate thoughts to actual lyrics of a song though.

"...The change, it had to come
We knew it all along "
     We knew there had to be a new product since there is a 3-year cycle. SP 2010 broke out the SSP and provided some great architecture modifications while keeping the core system in place. Some great UI modifications as well (e.g. InfoPath form to modify New, Edit, View, etc.). We anxiously awaited for SharePoint 15.

"We were liberated from the fold, that's all "
     I think we are all just happy there is something out there and we can play with it. Not sure what the SharePoint MVPs had to play with in February but it must have been awful.

"And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed "
    A few more service applications; calling certain web parts "Apps" now; The more things change the more they stay the same. Wrap it up in a different package and call it something different.    

"Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war "
     The Office desktop products move along with SharePoint(or vice-versa) and they continue to be there to help drive some of the SharePoint evolution (e.g. Office Web Apps, Office 365 Home Editions)

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution "
     I still need to acknowledge and cheer the new version. I need to learn everything new and understand the overall impact. Still need to embrace the latest and greatest even though my first impressions are not great.

"Smile and grin at the change all around "
     More of a cynical grin since many things may appear different but they are very similiar to SharePoint 2010.

"Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday "
    I'll keep coding my customizations, coming up with solutions, writing books and guides - makes no difference to me. Gotta keep learning and earning!

"Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
No, no! "
   Like I said, I hope I see things in a different light, but to wait two years for this crap?? WTF

"Meet the new boss - Same as the old boss"

1 comment:

  1. I am finding some nuggets here and there. Still digging into areas. It's getting better.

    ReplyDelete

Matched Content