Thursday, June 26, 2014

IE Crashes In SharePoint 2013 when you mouseover the Profile Image: RESOLVED

Ever since I installed Lync 2013 and started using SharePoint 2013, ever time I hovered over a person's presence indicator, IE would crash. This became very annoying. I first thought since I was one of the first whom has Lync installed, there was something funny with the installation. I tried repairing Office 2013 with no joy.

I finally resolved the issue this morning. I then searched the forums to see if others had an answer but all I found was a locked thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/dfc80784-f030-4775-9245-7a3fd26bcfb1/ie-crashes-in-sharepoint-2013-when-you-mouseover-the-profile-image?forum=sharepointgeneral

The claim was that it was not SharePoint 2013 related. In my case and in most of those cases it was. The presence in Outlook worked fine. Anyway, I was a bit upset that the thread on the forum was closed with no resolution. People are trying to find an answer.

My resolution was that I still had Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 installed on my machine. This was causing the conflict when hovering over the presence in SharePoint 2013. Once I uninstalled, the issue did not occur anymore and now I am free to move my mouse wherever I want!!

Hope this helps people looking for an answer but finding that Microsoft forums shut the door on them.

 

3 comments:

  1. You need to repair your office installation. If you open IE, go to manage add-ons and look at the Name Ctrl Class add-on, you will probably notice it's version is not 15.xxxx which it should be if you're running Office 2013. Repair office and you will notice this version of the add-on gets updated too. The presence indicator should work fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a known issue with IE and SharePoint. simple fix:

    For 64-bit Windows 7 -
    Open an Elevated command prompt

    cd c:\windows\syswow64
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

    for 32-bit Windows 7 -
    Open an elevated command prompt

    c:\ regsvr oleaut32.dll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quicker solution -

    Open an elevated command prompt

    On 32-bit Win 7 type:

    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    -enter-

    On 64-bit Win 7 -

    cd \windows\syswow64
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    -enter-

    All done...

    ReplyDelete

Matched Content