Monday, March 18, 2013

SharePoint 2013: Tweaking the Health Analyzer Rule Definitions

While playing in SharePoint Central Administration in 2010 or 2013, you have probably seen warnings in regards to Health Analyzer issues:


These are most likely ignored in development and staging environments, but what about production?

In production I don't want to ignore these issues but at the same time I don't want to be warned on some things that I don't need to worry about. To tweak how the health analyzer processes these issues all you need to do is modify the rule definitions.

To modify the rule definitions, select Site Contents from the settings menu (gear) in Central Admin. Locate the Health Analyzer Rule Definitions library:



Open the library and select a rule you wish to modify:

 
 
Click Edit Item from the top ribbon:


You may now modify the scope, schedule, enabled, and repair automatically properties:
 
 
Here are some tweaks I have made which may go against best practices but I will explain:



First, I disabled two account rules. The reason is because some of our service accounts are used for application pools and farm accounts and may have admin privledges. It is not the recommended service account structure but it is what it is and I don't need to be notified that this is an issue.



Next I disabled the Drives are at risk of running out of free space. Why? There is already a rule that warns of drives actually running out of disk space. I don't need to be warned about the risk. This alert was occuring against the C: drive of our servers however there is plenty of free space and since we keep our logs on E:, there shouldn't be any worry. The threshold here deals with the amount of memory on the server and having enough room for logs and memory dump files. I think we are safe.

Finally, I changed the Database has large amounts of unused space to run Daily. I want this to be resolved on a daily basis and not have to wait for a week to realize some shrinking needs to occur (or have the amount of unused space grow even larger). I also modified this definition to repair automatically. This will shrink the database as needed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Matched Content